Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Potty Training

Someday I'd like to start potty training my 2 and 1/2 year old and some day soon, I think? I go back and forth on this subject often, some days I feel like I want to tackle it and other days I don't feel like the doing the hard work it takes to get him there. He has used the toilet and a number of occasions and I know he can. He's gone number one and number two in there, so I know he's capable, but I'm not sure if he's ready. The first weekend we really tried to do the potty training thing it was kind of brought up by him. I wasked him if he had to go potty out of the blue and he said yes, and every time after I would ask if he had to go he would say yes! I was excited because I thought it would be like everything else with him, pretty easy. I weaned him from breastfeeding at 1 year cold turkey, and also from his pacifier at a year cold turkey. It was there one day and gone the next and he was perfectly fine with it. So I was happy that potty training might turn into me just asking and him doing the rest, but it hasn't been like that since the frist weekend. He fights me when I change his diaper and fights me if I ask him to use the potty, so I'm not sure what fight I'd rather have. I also don't want to have to clean up all the accidents, just something I don't want to do but know it will have to done no matter when I do it. I've thought about getting pull-ups so he can feel he's wet but don't have to clean up the mess, but I just haven't done anything. When we went over to our friends house the other day (where S dressed up as a princess) there little boy who is his age is potty trained, and I know S can probably do it. At this point I don't know if he is ready, but when are they ready? Any suggestions from those of you who have boys?

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I am having NO LUCK with mine.

Sorry.

I can suggest this though, for when you so start. Put the emphasis on being dry, give praise and treats for dry undies, rather than for stuff in the toilet.