Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Christmas

Well Christmas is approaching quickly and I don't like it. I'm trying to think of what to get people and hope there is enough money to get everything. It's just more stress than I would like it to be. I'm not a shopper, I don't like it. So that means I don't like the crowds or waiting in line or being stuck behind stupid people that block the whole aisle and have no consideration of those around them. I'd like to get my shopping done sooner than later, but I know realistically it'll be later for multiple reasons. Christmas has gotten so commercial I think many people loose site of the reason for it, they get stuck on buying the best and the newest of everything. Why can't society go back to reason of Christmas? It would save us a lot of money and I think bring us more joy. I love the holidays don't get me wrong, but I don't care much for the expectations that society has put on us to buy elaborate gifts. I often times get caught up in what society teaches us. I'll be the first to admit I had a big long list of things I wanted to get my kids. The other day I shortened it to things they needed and one or two toys. I don't know what I was thinking, we have plenty of toys already that make a constant mess, why add tons more? I've already started making some home made gifts from my heart and hope that those appreciated. What happened to the days of home made goodies and singing songs and charity, instead of trying to out do everyone else. What are we teaching our kids? Each year they'll expect something bigger and better. Things were a lot more simple when I was kid at least for my family. I hope that through the hussle and bussle of today that my kids will understand what Christmas is all about. That they'll enjoy giving better than receiving. And know that something from the heart and home made is priceless.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Christmas is tough. Last year we worked really hard of giving talents. We gave vouchers for stuff we could do for a person. Some of these people, have not redeemed their vouchers, so that kind of stinks (most, actually) but I enjoyed giving that way.

We gave our grandparents the promise of a letter and photograph every month. That one worked out pretty well. We still do that.