Sunday, September 19, 2010

30 Day Project - Day 18

Today was quite the busy day! We got a swing set last Saturday! But it came with A LOT of pieces. It took the hubby and I (mostly the hubby) several hours to organize and label all the pieces to make the set up much easier. His younger brother came over several times throughout the week after the kids had gone to bed for an hour or two each time. And today was the get it all done day! Which meant a lot of work for the hubby and those who helped, his brothers and my brother (a BIG THANKS to them)! Work started bright and early, around 7:30 in the morning when my brother arrived. I usually don't make something for every meal, but today I did because I felt like that was the least we could do was to feed those who were here helping us. For breakfast I made german pancakes. Shortly after that I had a volleyball game. When I got home from that, I had to take my daughter to a birthday party, then come home and make lunch for the crew. I had a ham and cheese loaf. While that was cooking, I started making bread, since we were almost out. After lunch I decided to take the 15 minutes I had to go and get ready for the day. Then ran to pick up my daughter from her party. Finished making bread. About this time all the help had gone, so I became the helper, I'm not sure I was the best helper, but better than nothing I guess. Well we finally got it all up and done, with even enough time left in the day for the kids to try it out. For dinner we had chicken salad sandwiches which I had put together the chicken salad the night before, because I knew what kind of day we had.

Here is the recipe for my mom's ham and cheese loaf

Ham and Cheese Loaf

Preheat oven to 400
1 Tbs. yeast
1 c. warm water
1 Tbs. softened butter
2 1/4 c. flour
1 Tbs. sugar
1 tsp. salt
Mix all together and knead until you have a soft dough. Roll out to a 14x10 rectangle. Then down the center of the dough layer, leaving about an inch at the top and bottom.
1 lbs. of thinly sliced ham
American cheese slices
Swiss cheese slices
Cut the sides of the dough starting at the edge and cutting until you have almost reached the ham, making one inch strips on both sides. Weave the cut ends over the top of the ham and cheese, to seal everything in. If this is too complicated, I would think you wouldn't have to worry about cutting the dough and just fold all the edges up and over to surround the meat and cheese. Beat egg whites and water and brush the top of the dough with that and then sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 20 minutes.

No comments: